Not Just History: Old Stone House Museum Renews Broad Education Focus


Next week the Old Stone House Museum, in Browington, opens for the season. And the Orleans County Historical Society’s museum has a pair of new leaders with some big ideas for the popular school field trip destination.

Audio from this story will be posted.

The Old Stone House Museum has been a Northeast Kingdom destination for a very long time. The four-story granite block building was constructed in 1836 by Alexander Twilight to serve as a dormitory for the Orleans County Grammar School, where he was principal. It opened as a museum in 1925.

“The Civil and Natural History Museum was the original organization, which then changed its name to the Orleans County Historical Society,” explained Walter Parenteau, the museum’s deputy director. “So before it was a historical society it had a much…

Read More

*** This news item is 3rd party content and is included strictly for non-commercial informational purposes.

Comments

comments