2 killed in Central African Republic op to rout armed groups


Bangui – The United Nations and Central African Republic forces Sunday launched an operation targeting armed groups in a mainly Muslim district of Bangui in which at least two people were killed and dozens wounded, UN and medical sources said.

Eleven peacekeepers, mostly Egyptian, were among the injured in the joint operation mounted by the United Nations peacekeeping force (Minusca) and the Central African security forces, Minusca spokesperson Herve Verhoosel told AFP.

The operation, which had targeted, the “bases of certain criminal groups” would continue “until the goal is achieved”, Verhoosel said.

Eight people belonging to the armed groups Force and 50/50 had been detained by Minusca and ammunition had been seized, he added.

The operation comes after a resurgence in violence in the flashpoint…

Read More

*** This news item is 3rd party content and is included strictly for non-commercial informational purposes.

320ro

Comments

comments